We lost a lot in 2020 — loved ones, time, momentum — and Consumer Watchdog’s ambitious plans for 2021 try to capitalize on what we’ve learned.
Below are some of our 2021 resolutions — which you can help us realize with a year-end, tax-deductible contribution:
1. We will work to eradicate discrimination in health care delivery starting with our cases protecting patients with HIV from being denied care.
2. The most progressive state in America should not have the most regressive medical malpractice cap — we will vindicate the lives and losses of tens of thousands of innocent injured patients and their families by adjusting the cap.
3. The victims of wildfires shouldn’t have to pay again with higher premiums and threats of lost coverage. We will protect them.
4. The poorest Californians shouldn’t be charged more for auto insurance because of occupations or education levels. We will secure new rules to stop insurance company discrimination based on these factors.
5. No one should have to live within 2500 feet of an oil well. We will press Governor Newsom for new rules to guarantee it.
6. Privacy is a treasured right for all Californians, we will make sure the state’s new privacy commission has the toughest enforcers and rules.
7. With a new president, we have a new chance for sane safety rules on Internet-connected cars and autonomous vehicles. We will expose the dangers of these automotive technologies to hacks and force new rules for safer designs.
8. New leadership in DC means a new day for holding online companies liable for their content. We will work to create new liability for Facebook, Google and other online Goliaths.
9. California’s recycling laws need an overhaul and we will press for reform of our broken bottle deposit program.
10. We will be a voice against every unjustified rate hike requested by California’s insurance companies and work to stop them.
We can accomplish all these goals only with your generous support.
Consumer Watchdog’s staff and I will be very grateful.
Thanks for all you do… And have a happy new year!