Consumer Watchdog is a national, nonpartisan consumer advocacy organization that develops innovative solutions to some of our country’s biggest problems. We fight for personal privacy and safer health care, fair insurance rates and access to justice, an end to fossil fuel dependence, and against the special interests who threaten our democracy. Over the last thirty plus years our investigations have changed corporate practices, driven corrupt politicians out of office and inspired groundbreaking legislation. Our mantra at Consumer Watchdog is simple, but effective. Expose rip-offs and injustice. Confront the industries and politicians responsible. Change the world. Whether we’re at the Capitol, in the media, or in the courtroom, these are the strategies we use to make sure that we win justice for American consumers and taxpayers.
The Operations Manager at our small organization wears many hats.
Daily responsibilities include overseeing office/facilities operations, managing administrative projects, maintaining website content, assisting with financial operations and serving as the public’s first point of contact with Consumer Watchdog. This is a full-time, in the office position. A successful candidate will enjoy contributing to many projects beyond administration, from research for the advocacy team, to media outreach, to pitching in on development projects. If you are looking for a challenge and committed to working for justice, this is the job for you.
- Answer CW’s main phone & consumer complaint lines, effectively field occasionally challenging consumer calls
- Update CW’s web site regularly, posting news releases, news articles, TV/radio clips & event advisories
- Manage data and prepare communications to CW contacts and supporters
- Ensure all organizational insurance is complete and up to date
- Office operations - oversee vendor contracts, coordinate facilities maintenance with building management, maintain office machines
- Provide research support to advocates
- Help organize and implement media actions to draw press coverage and build support for our campaigns
- Maintain press lists
- Assist accountant in processing income, accounts payable processes, management of bank accounts
- Work with political compliance attorneys
- State/Federal Compliance - Work with bookkeeper/accounting firm to complete tax returns - facilitate annual audit of financial statements, Form 5500, Secretary of State filings
- Manage master list of all donors and maintain contact lists of supporters
- Monitor compliance with grant reporting and ensure proper tracking of grant revenue
- Steward funder correspondence and donor acknowledgments
- Facilitate all CW onboarding processes for new staff, including benefits administration
- Manage vacation requests, sick/vacation time
- Collect and review staff timesheets, oversee use of staff time tracking software
- A commitment to social justice
- Experience in an Operations Manager or similar position
- Comfort working in a deadline-driven, collaborative environment
- Proactive, self-motivated and extremely well organized
- Technically proficient in Microsoft Office for Mac, and comfort with learning new software and programs
Salary and Benefits
Salary is competitive with other similar public interest organizations and the experience level sought; employer-paid health plan, dental and life insurance are provided. Consumer Watchdog also offers a generous retirement savings plan, a casual work environment and parking at our Los Angeles office.
E-mail your resume with a cover letter explaining your interest in the position and why you should be our next Operations Manager to Mark Reback at [email protected]. Please use the subject line “Consumer Watchdog Operations Manager.”